Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mooncakes from Hong Kong

Today I got a parcel from Hong Kong. My good friend Wendy sent me a traditional Chinese candies and mooncakes with lotus seed paste and yolks from salted duck eggs... yummy! Taste is really good. This is my second time to eat mooncakes. :)

According the Wikipedia, mooncake (月餅; yue bing) is a Chinese bakery product traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival (Zhongqiu). The festival is for lunar worship and Moon watching, when mooncakes are regarded as an indispensable delicacy. Mooncakes are offered between friends or on family gatherings while celebrating the festival. The Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the four most important Chinese festivals.

Thank you very much for these cakes and candies, Wendy. You are very kind, and your lovely parcel made me really happy. Be blessed, dear friend! 非常感谢, 孟儀。 保重。 祝你快乐! (^—^)

This beautiful tin box includes four mooncakes.

 Chinese mooncake (lotus seed paste and yolks from salted duck eggs).

Some traditional Chinese candies.

4 comments:

  1. Lucky you, Teisuka! This kind of 月饼 really tastes good. I suppose it's not that easy to buy moon cakes in Finland. In New York City, where I live, you can find different kinds of moon cakes in Chinese communities. And you know what, even the famous American wholesale store Costco sells moon cakes to cater to Chinese customers here. They are made in Taiwan and are of good quality. Right now they are cheaper as the Mid-Autumn Festival has already passed. Now in Costco, you can buy a box of four mooncakes for only $5.88. Isn't that good?
    Enjoy your 月饼!:)
    Bao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your nice words, Bao. Yes, they really tastes good, and it's practically impossible to find mooncakes from here where I live (West Finland). Two years ago, I was hanging around and tried to find mooncakes. I went to the Chinese restaurant and Asian store, but everywhere people just laughed at me: "Hahaha, no no, we have no mooncakes HERE!" ^^

    Then, one year ago Wendy sent me mooncakes, and first time I tasted these exotic bakery products. Now she sent me the similar cakes, and I'm really glad for that. Wendy is very kind lady. I love Chinese culture and Chinese people, always "easy" to me. I mean, in this atmosphere I feel like home. Chinese poems, humor, etc... they all feels natural for me. So, I have a second little Moon Festival here tonight. The lantern is burning on my balcony. 哈哈哈! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Tembo-san -^^-
    I've been so busy and only now have time to read your blog entry! Ahhh.. I had the same kind of moon-cakes, too! My sister sent them from S'pore!
    Unh, SO glad our Wendy-san sent you more this year.. she is just awesome, isn't she?! Thank you for sharing those yummy looking candies with us, too!
    Mata ne~ -^^- I'll go on to your next entry!
    - Michiko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Konbanwa, Michiko-chan.
      Thank you for your nice visit. Always pleasure to see you on my page. Waa, you had the same kind of mooncakes this year? Good for you! Really yummy stuff, isn't it? ^^ I agree with you, Wendy is just awesome. Have a great week to you, dear Michiko-chan. Again, thank you for "calling". Mata atode aimashou! (^—^)

      Delete