Saturday, January 4, 2014

Long Range Patrol – the Best Finnish War Film for Years

Kaukopartio (Long Range Patrol) movie poster.

The film crew and some cast members. The premiere night
party at the museum. Sitting in the foreground, a film
director Harri J. Rantala (a submachine gun in his hands)
and a costume designer / a makeup artist Sanna Panula.
Photo by Teisuka. (Click the photo to see it bigger.)

This time, I tell something about a new Finnish war film called Kaukopartio (English: Long Range Patrol), written and directed by Harri J. Rantala, starring Eerik Kantokoski, Ali Ahovaara, Hannu Rantala, Eeva Putro, Kalevi Haapoja, and Kristiina Karhu. The world premiere was held on December 27th 2013 in the Civil Guard and Lotta Svärd Museum. Earlier, the Finnish crew also filmed one scene in the museum.

First of all, I want to explain the term "long range patrol" (Finnish: kaukopartio, Russian: дальний патруль, Chinese: 長距離巡邏, Japanese: ロングレンジパトロール), if some of my readers doesn't know that. Long-range reconnaissance patrols, or LRRPs (pronounced "Lurps"), are small, heavily armed long-range reconnaissance teams that patrol deep in enemy-held territory.

In Finland, long-range patrols were especially notable in the World War II. These units penetrated Soviet lines and conducted recon and destroy missions. During the trench warfare period of the Continuation War (1941-1944), long-range patrols were often conducted by special Finnish sissi troops. In English, a Finnish word "sissi" means something like patrolman, partisan, or commando.

The Finnish movie called Long Range Patrol is not a typical war film. I mean, it's not a heroic story. It shows the cruel and nasty side of war. To be exact, this movie tells about the Finnish war crime during the Continuation War. In 1943, a Finnish long-range patrol (three young men) makes a campaign to the Soviet Union, and they get a mission to bring a prisoner of war. The mission fails badly, and the end result is ugly. There is one truly shocking scene in the film. Despite this, the two soldiers receive a medal of honor at the end.

In my opinion, Long Range Patrol is a good movie in many ways: screenplay, theme, directing, acting, setting, costume design, cinematography, editing – all is well done. The only minus side is a little bit scruffy picture quality (not sharp enough). The running time is only 60 minutes, so the movie could be a little longer, too. Anyway, the shots or scenes are long and lingering, and I like that style.

For me, the movie raised up many questions, but it's just a good thing. The story is not too simple, not too obvious, and black and white. You have to use your brains and think – think hard. Long Range Patrol gives you a food for thought, indeed. What really happens? What's going on? Are there heroes at all, or are they all just an "inglorious bastards"? Well, for my part I believe, there are also heroes and good men in the war, but this film don't tell about them.

All in all, Long Range Patrol is a brave Finnish film. Brave, because we must have courage to talk about the war crimes too, and not only about the heroic acts. I dare to say that Long Range Patrol is the best Finnish war film since Ambush (Finnish: Rukajärven tie) from the year 1999.

You can find the official Kaukopartio website by clicking here. Facebook site is also available to everyone, please click here. Thanks for supporting the Finnish cinema – kiitos! (^—^)

Teisuka

A real Finnish ski patrol during World War II.

10 comments:

  1. hi Teisuka
    very interesting. thank you. modern russian cinema has a scandalous movie called bastards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastards_%282006_film%29) it's about 14–15 years old criminals who have become saboteurs. i have not seen the movie yet, but i heard about it many controversial opinions. maybe these movies are similar, but im not sure.

    Ника

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Привет, Ника.

      Many thanks for your comment and recommendation. Спасибо. I have seen many great Soviet or Russian war films, and now I am interested to see this movie called "Bastards". Controversial films are often very interesting...

      Merry Russian Christmas to you, Nika! С Рождеством Христовым! ^^

      Teisuka

      Delete
  2. Hi Teisuka,
    Thank you for your detailed introduction to the film. And I especially thank you for sharing your insightful opinions about it. I agree with you that such films with an unconventional angle to tell stories are more interesting and thought-provoking. Traditionally, most war films feature some heroic stories that fail to truly reflect the bloodiness of wars. Most Chinese war movies are just like that, and I've already got tired of them. So this Finnish movie must be like fresh air in this movie genre.

    Form your picture, it seems that most cast members are male. I think this is definitely one of the major characteristics of war movies. So in this regard, this movie is still a typical war movie. Ha ha....just kidding! -:)

    Also thank you for your detailed explanation to the term "Long Range Patrol." Here I have a question. In your descriptions, you said that Finnish patrol soldiers penetrated Soviet lines to conduct reconnaissance during the World War II. So Finland and Soviet Union were antagonists at that time? I thought they all fought German Nazis at the time. Sorry for my ignorance about that part of the history. -:)

    Thanks again for this wonderful blog entry. Hope you enjoyed your weekend. Wish you a great start of the new week. -:) And may you get some snow soon! -:)
    Bao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bao,

      Many thanks for visiting and for your great comment, my friend. I really appreciate that. I agree with your opinion concerning the war films. You are right: the most cast members are naturally male. So in this regard, "Long Range Patrol" is still a typical war movie. ;) Anyway, there are also two great female roles in this movie.

      To answering your question: yes, Finland and the Soviet Union were antagonists at that time. There were two wars between the Soviet Union and Finland in 1939–1944. First, the Winter War. It began with Soviet invasion of Finland in November 1939. The Continuation War started in June 1941, when Finland and Germany attacked the Soviet Union. In this war, Finland tried to retake the areas which the Soviet Union took from us in the Winter War. The result was the Soviet victory and the Moscow Armistice, but Finland ultimately retaining its independence.

      Yes, Nazi Germany was actually an "ally" of Finland in 1941-1944, but Finland never was a Nazi country. Finland adopted the concept of a "parallel war" whereby it sought to pursue its own objectives in concert with, but separate from, Nazi Germany, as "co-belligerents". This means, Finland had its own interests, different than Nazi Germany had. (By the way, Japan was also our unofficial ally in 1941-1944!)

      Again, thanks for being here, Mr. Bao. You too, have a great start of the new week. Me too, I hope we will get some snow soon. It seems there is a real "super winter" in New York City at the moment (I saw the news on this morning). Stay warm and keep safe, my friend! :)

      Kindly,

      Teisuka

      Delete
  3. Hi Teisuka! War films are usually very exciting and Kaukopartio seems to be such a film. Such teams that patrol deep in enemy-held territory can be called saboteurs (in russian - диверсант) There is a russian serial film with the same name - "Диверсанты" оr "Saboteurs". It tells about soviet scouts saboteurs during WWII. Very good film. You can watch it online though it is in russian: http://serialguru.ru/serial-diversant

    Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victor,

      Many thanks for visiting my blog and for the interesting link. Spasibo! I hope to see that Russian serial film some day in the Finnish TV. I like especially "commando-type" war films. :)

      Диверсанты? I assume it's about the same as Soviet десантник (desantnik). During the wartime, they raised fears among the Finns. I think they were mostly similar as our "sissi" troops or long range patrol men which came across the border to the Soviet Union. (Except that desantiniks were always airborne troops.)

      By the way, one more thing: I just finished to read a Russian story called «Запеча́тленный ангел» (The Sealed Angel) written by Nikolai Leskov. I am very impressed! What a wonderful spiritual story related to the icon art and Divine providence (Промысл Божий). Probably you know this story too.

      Blessings to you, my spiritual brother, and Happy New Year to you and your loved ones! :)

      Best greetings from Finland,

      Teisuka

      Delete
    2. Howdy old neigbour

      Even though I am considered as a ”red Finn” I’m looking forward to see this film, when it comes from TV. I definately like independent films and the “superstar” of our home province, Kalevi Haapoja, is a one great reason to watch this film.

      Our nation has historically been torn to different factions, but I suppose that no one could have made better decicions that our leaders did at the time. It indeed was a difficult situation, because we had pressure from Soviet Union and Nazi-Germany was our only possible ally. Some really bad things were done at the time (probably our leaders thought it was absolutely necessary at the current situation), but I hope that the Almighty forgives us our debts. Our national history is never simple to understand, even for us Finns.

      Finland could be a great country to live one day (for us and the immigrants), if the right- and left side parties would cooperate and start doing good things for people, instead of cuddling the multinational corporations. We have a extraordinary good nordic welfare system, that we should never let go.

      Good luck with your job, and I hope to see you again (relatively) soon. Perhaps next summer we meet and go swimming, just like old times 

      Sincerely yours

      Old neigbour Doyle

      Ps. Thanks for “Exodus”. I will write to you, once I finish the book. I have approximately 120 pages left from 660 

      Delete
    3. Hello, my old neigbour Doyle!

      Many thanks for visiting and for your great comment. I mostly agree with you, though I am somewhere in the "political middle" and thus more like "white". ;) Seriously, we need a "campaign against greed" everywhere, in every area, just what the Pope and our president both are preaching. That means more stabile society. So, long live cooperation and "social peace", just like you said. A good Nordic welfare system is something we should not allow to destroy.

      Yes, this movie 'Kaukopartio' is absolutely worth watching. I recommend to check it out. Concerning the Finnish history: yes, that was situation where we were. The Winter War was more legitimate and heroic story, but the Continuation War - that's not so simple thing... We can found both, the sins of the fathers and the heroic acts of the fathers. Every nation has its "dark chapters".

      Glad if you like that book, 'Exodus'. For my part, I am reading Mikhail Bulgakov right now, to be exact, his short story collection called 'The Fatal Eggs and Other Soviet Satire'. I really like his crazy imagination and weird humor. You too, good luck with your job, and "see you later, alligator". :)

      Blessings!

      Teisuka

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your choices of music. I too am moved by Orthodox Chants. I have travelled to a number of countries because my primary interest was the "Special" music. Years ago I was in Bulgaria five times and learned to love their religious music. I have a few recordings on gramophone and I see many more on You Tube.
    I went to Georgia and found even more fabulous music. I came back from that trip with 40 records - some from Armenia and some from Russia.
    More recently I have made a life-long dream come true and visited Helsinki twice. I had been smitten by Kantele and Gusli. I met some wonderful players and came home with countless CD's of heavenly music.
    In a few days I will return to Helsinki for another holiday and for hours I will search for more rapturous music. This time, I will also go to the Orthodox Church. Previously I went to Lutheran churches.
    I am English and live on a very small island where almost nobody has heard such beautiful music. My friends sometimes listen to this music and they are polite. But they see me as eccentric. I wish they could also enter into the heavenly places that I have known for nearly fifty years.
    Thank you Teisuka. Every Blessing to you. Now I and my wife must pack our bags ready for our flight to Helsinki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there,

      You forgot to put your name on your comment, but many thanks for your nice message and blessings. I assume you found my blog through my YouTube account. I am glad to hear you also love Orthodox Chants and even Kantele music. I must say, you have a good taste of music. :) Again, thanks for visiting my blog. I wish nice trip to you and your wife in Helsinki. All the blessings to both of you!

      Kindly,

      Teisuka

      Delete