Friday, June 14, 2013

A Dream Within a Dream

 Edgar Allan Poe in 1848.

This time, I want to share a beautiful and impressive poem, written by Edgar Allan Poe (January 19, 1809 - October 7, 1849). Poe was an American author, poet, editor, and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement. Since my childhood, Poe has been my favorite poet. I can often identify with the thoughts and feelings, of which he writes in his poems. In my view, his poetry is pure in style. In short, it is perfect. I also like his ghost stories very much.

A Dream Within a Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Edgar Allan Poe (1849)

I also found the Chinese (!) translation from the Wikipedia, so I put it here.

梦中之梦

不能再吻你的额头,
到了再见的时候,
我不得不说-
你是对的,我的生活
不过是一场梦。
但是,如果希望已经飞走
无论在夜里,或在白天,
无论在幻想,或在虚无中,
那么它是否会因此留下一些呢?
我们所看到、所感受的一切
不过是一场梦中的梦。

我站在
怒涛彭湃的海岸边,
我的手中
攥着金黄的沙粒-
留不住啊!它们快速地
穿过我的手指而去,
我哭了-我哭了!
哦,上帝!为什么我不能
牢牢地抓住它们?
哦,上帝!为什么我不能
从这无情的波涛中救出一个?
难道我们所看到、所感受的一切
不过是一场梦中的梦? 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Teisuka,

    Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem with us. It is new to me as I never read it before. Also thank you for putting the Chinese translation here, and it helps me understand the poem better. Although I can relate my feelings to the poem, it's still hard for me to totally grasp its true meaning or intention. I always think that life is a dream, and when you wake up, your life journey comes to an end. But why "dream within a dream"? Does it mean that life is more beyond our grasp and thus is even emptier?

    Speaking of dream, I once had a "dream in a dream," literally. I forget what exactly happened in the dream, but I do remember this: I woke up, telling myself,"oh that was just a dream." Actually I said this in my dream! So this should be called "dream in a dream," right?

    Thanks again for sharing. May you enjoy each and every day! We all should be relaxed and not take things seriously, it's all a dream, isn't it? -:)
    Bao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bao,

      Many thanks for your profound comment, my dear friend. I really appreciate to see you here. Am also glad you like this poem. Me too, I can not completely understand it, and that's why I like it even more. Haha. Poe is often like this: his poems and short stories are mysterious, strange and weird, and that's why I find him interesting writer.

      You asked about the poem, "does it mean that life is more beyond our grasp and thus is even emptier?" Aiyaa! I'm not sure, and that's why I think this poem is so fascinating... :)

      You talked about "a dream in a dream". You wake up in a dream, but that awakening is also a dream! I have also had this kind of experiences. It is very thrilling and confusing. Haha. It is calling "false awakening dream". I like Tibetan Buddhists saying, "The entire visible world is nothing but a dream town". To my mind, this is very beautifully said.

      You wrote, "We all should be relaxed and not take things seriously, it's all a dream, isn't it?" Well said, my friend. I completely agree with you. We should to relax more. :)

      By the way, the first Chinese in my life was the girl whose family name is Lee. Many years ago, I sent her Edgar Allan Poe's beautiful poem named 'Annabel Lee'. She really loved it. You can find that poem easily from the web. It is very mysterious and touching love poem. Here is a short passage:

      "For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
      Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
      And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
      Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
      And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
      Of my darling - my darling- my life and my bride..."

      Beautiful, isn't it? You too, may you enjoy each and every day, my dear friend. Again, thank you for being here! :)

      Best wishes,

      Teisuka

      Delete
    2. Hi again, Bao.

      May I tell you one more story about my other Chinese friend. She lived in the same city than Ms. Lee, and she was my second Chinese friend. :) Once I asked her, what is the most beautiful word in Chinese language in her opinion. She said it is 梦 (meng, "dream"). I understand her opinion. 梦 is a beautiful Chinese character. The word sounds soft and dreamlike.

      To my mind, most beautiful Finnish word is "uni" ("dream"). Like the Chinese word, it also sounds soft and dreamlike. In my view, a Chinese character 梦 looks like a sleeping face. There are closed eyes and the open mouth. Haha. That's the way I see this character. Thus, I will always remember its meaning. :)

      Teisuka

      Delete
    3. Hi Teisuka,

      Thank you for sharing your stories regarding your first two Chinese friends. I think you can be a great Chinese teacher, your visual analysis of "梦" is wonderful. -:) Actually I never thought about that. Ha ha...

      Also I'd like to tell you that my last name is also "meng," but it's a different character with the same pronunciation as "梦". It's interesting, isn't it? Again, have a nice weekend! -:)

      Bao

      Delete
    4. Hi Bao,

      Thank you for your kind words, my friend. Oh, I'm not really good in the Chinese language. I only know some words (characters) and phrases, but I'm learning new little by little. I have a good dictionary and pinyin converter, and I can type Chinese with my keyboard (also Japanese and Russian, since I have a wide range of language settings on my computer, haha). :)

      Yes, it is very interesting to know your last name is also "meng", but with different character and meaning. Have a nice weekend to you too, my friend! :)

      Greetings from the Land of the Midnight Sun,

      Teisuka

      Delete