Saturday, March 21, 2015

Becoming a Member of the Patriotic Association

The Finnish dragoons in the city of Lappeenranta, in 1999.

Just a short update this time, since I have some news to tell. One week ago, I became a member of The Dragoon Guild (Finnish: Rakuunakilta). The Finnish Dragoon squadron exists in conjunction with the Army Academy in Lappeenranta and continues the tradition of the former 1. Squadron of the Uusimaa Dragoon battalion.

The Uusimaa Dragoon battalion was formed during the Finnish Civil War in 1918 at this city where I live. General Mannerheim (1867-1951) called it "my regiment". The Dragoon Guild is a proud traditional association for the patriotic men. You can find their website here (click the blue word).

Well, I have no horse and I am not even a cavalryman (my military rank is a jaeger or light infantryman), so I think I am more like a supporting member in this association. Anyway, I am glad to be a member in "Mannerheim's regiment"!  ( ̄ー ̄)

By the way, my ancestor was a Swedish sergeant  who came to Finland in 1721, after The Great Northern War. In that war, Finnish dragoons were usual. The first Finnish dragoons (also called as hakkapeliittas) were in the service of King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden during the Thirty Years' War (1618 to 1648).

Teisuka

A legendary Finnish General Mannerheim was a cavalryman
all his life. Before he returned back to his homeland, he served
a long time in the Chevalier Guard regiment, in Russia.

An old drawing of the Finnish "hakkapeliitta"
or cavalryman in the 17th century.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Teisuka,

    So interesting! So you joined this association to fulfill your childhood dream? Haha, just kidding. I think it's really great to show your patriotism in this special way. Hope someday I can see a picture showing you on one of these tall horses. Is that possible? -:)

    By reading this blog entry, I learned two new words: dragoon and jaeger. The first word is easy to remember because it's very close to the word "dragon." The second word is much more difficult because it does not look like an English word. It's very likely that I will forget this word tomorrow. haha...

    Thank you so much for sharing with us some interesting stuff in your life. It seems that you're really enjoying life now. I'm happy for you. Hope you will keep this high spirit and be always joyful.

    Enjoy the rest of the week, my friend!

    Bao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bao,

      Many thanks for being a loyal visitor in my blog, and for your nice comment. I'm glad that you find my update interesting. Xie xie ni, my friend! :) You hope to see me ride with a horse and dressed like a dragoon? Haha. I think it's not possible. Those guys are old experts, and those costumes are very rare and expensive. Well, but I have ridden with a horse a few times in my life, so that's not problem. :)

      You're right about the word "jaeger", it does not look like an English word. It's a German military term, and means "hunter" in English. Again, thank you for being here, my friend, and also thanks for your good wishes. I wish all the best to you and your family! Be well and stay safe! :)

      Blessings from rainy Finland,

      Teisuka

      Delete
  2. How exciting! I understand you threw away your cowboy hat and became.... A DRAGON! I'm thrilled for you -^^-

    - M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again, dear Michiko-chan or The BonnieM ! ^^

      Thanks for being here today, and for your nice comment. No, I didn't threw away my cowboy hat... I'm still a Finnish Cowboy, too. Haha. :D You know, those dragoons... they are like Finnish Cowboys. Yeeha! Except that our slogan is: "Hakkaa päälle!" (In English: "Cut them down!") Sounds a bit like a Samurai-style, eh? Hehe... :-P

      I wish you all the best, my dear friend! Again, thanks for visiting my "station". ^^

      Tembo the fierce Dragoon :D

      Delete
  3. ¸.•´¸.•*♫ Congratulations Teisuka-san! Happy for you to be a member of the Dragon... Salute to the team for their contributions... Wonderful share my friend.... Between, happy to see Mi-san here because she seemed disappeared for years... LOL... Have a great happy weekend to both of you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Shawn-san! ^^

      Many thanks for visiting here and for the congratulations. :) The correct word is *dragoon*, not dragon. Haha. :D It means a light cavalry units and personnel. The Chinese word is 龍騎兵, which means 騎馬步兵. Yes, it was also very nice to see Michiko-chan after a long time! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend! :)

      Teisuka

      Delete
    2. ¸.•´¸.•*♫ It was Mi-san's fault since I saw her comment and she mentioned dragon... LOL... Sorry Mi-san....Dragoon it is!

      Delete
    3. All right. One more nickname. I am The Dragon now, and it's Mi-san's fault. :D That's okay. Haha. Have a nice week ahead, my friend! :) Teisuka

      Delete