Friday, November 8, 2013

Ronnie James Dio – The King of Heavy Rock

The great heavy metal vocalist Ronnie James Dio
(July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010).

Already for thirty years, Ronnie James Dio has been my favorite male singer. I was thirteen years old when I heard the debut album of his new band, Dio. The year was 1983 and the album was Holy Diver. Nowadays it is considered a classic of heavy rock. This album includes one of my favorite songs from Dio, titled Don't Talk to Strangers (you can listen it here).

Throughout the years, Dio's music has brought me strength and energy – always, but especially during difficult times. His music is full of some kind of "dark power". I mean, it is fierce and aggressive but still melodic. Very powerful stuff! (^—^)

Ronnie James Dio was born on July 10, 1942 to Italian parents in Endicott, New York. His musical career began in 1957 when several Cortland, New York musicians formed the band The Vegas Kings. Later he had a band called Elf (1967-1975), and then he joined Rainbow, his first popular band. Dio was the lead vocalist in 1975-1979. During that time, Rainbow released three great studio albums.

After Rainbow, Dio was the vocalist of Black Sabbath, the legendary heavy metal group. Again, he made many wonderful albums with the band, for example Heaven and Hell (1980). Finally, in 1982, Dio formed his own band Dio (by the way, name Dio means God in Italian). For me, it represents the best era of Dio. The band released ten studio albums such as Holy Diver (1983), Angry Machines (1996), and Master of the Moon (2004).

Angry Machines (1996), one of my favorite albums by Dio.

Dio wrote all his songs by himself, at least the lyrics. He said, "Lyrically I like to use themes that make the listener use his or her imagination, and to give a little of the lessons I've learned in my own life."

Dio's full discography is quite long, and you can find it here.

I saw Dio live once in 1998. His band played at the Tavastia Club, in Helsinki, the capital of Finland. During the last song (titled We Rock) I shook his hand! That was the best gig I have ever seen, and I will never forget that "meeting".

Ronnie James Dio died of stomach cancer on May 16, 2010, in Los Angeles. He was 67 years old (a year later, my mother died at the age of 67). When I heard the sad news, I cried like a baby because I had grown up with Dio's music. On the next day, I made the memorial video and uploaded it to YouTube. Please check it out, it's a beautiful song called This is Your Life.


Finally, I put here one of my favorite song from Dio, As Long as It's Not About Love (click the title to listen). Such a strong love song with great lyrics. The power of music is amazing. The singers we love, even though they are dead – like Elvis Presley, Teresa Teng, or Ronnie James Dio – their music is still among us and will never die. The soul has gone (to Heaven) , but the voice remains. Or actually, their soul is in the music. So at its best, the music brings something from Heaven down to earth.

Dio was a real "Mr. Nice Guy" – always friendly and kind
to his fans. He shook my hand in 1998 in Helsinki.

Some of my Dio albums, singles and EPs. Photo by Teisuka.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Teisuka,
    Thank you for introducing this famous and legendary singer to us. I was not familiar with him, and it was such a pleasant surprise to get to know his songs. Usually I don't listen to heavy rock, but as you said, his music is powerful but still melodic, and that's why I find his music quite appealing. Probably I will become his new fan as I enjoy more of his songs.

    And your video in memory of him is also a pleasant surprise to me. I never knew that you had uploaded this video, which is really well done. It received so many likes and I just added mine there. -:) It was quite a hit and please accept my belated congratulations to you. Oh, wait, I should also congratulate you on your new milestone on YouTube -- 700 subscribers! That's quite an accomplishment! And I'm sure you would have been more successful if you had not been forced to delete some of your videos because of the strikes you got. Keep up the good work, my friend! -:)

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend and feel refreshed as you start your new week in your part of the world. I think you must be very happy that you just got snow there. Wish you a wonderful new week! -:)
    Blessings to you,
    Bao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bao,

      Thank you very much for your always kind words and compliment, my friend. I'm glad to introduce my old favorite singer to you. Every year, especially in the dark time, I "find" Dio's music again. It is so powerful and really brings me an energy. Good to hear you also liked his song and my video. Xie xie ni! :)

      Thanks for the congratulations too. Yes, one year ago I lost more than 500,000 video views when I had to remove my "dangerous videos". Well, I don't care that anymore. It's okay. Actually, I don't want that my channel grows too big. Haha. :)

      You too, have a wonderful week, my friend. You and your family are constantly in my prayers.

      Blessings from chilly and rainy Finland (I'm waiting for more snow, haha) ^^

      Teisuka

      Delete